Friday 25 April 2014

Half A Job

If you're a plumber, accountant or shop assistant then you have a useful occupation. You provide a service that somebody wants, even if that somebody is just your boss telling you what they want you to do. Someone wants you to do a task, you do it and you get paid. Assuming that it's a regular job then that pattern continues indefinitely. Or until you tell your boss what you really think about them after one too many tequila slammers at the Christmas party.

An artist (and I consider authors in that category) doesn't do a useful job. Their work is not a basic human requirement. We are 'extras' in life's drama, and we don't have the luxury of a (more or less) guaranteed income. Sure, some of our work is done to commission and if you're at the very top of your game then you may be given a long-term contract to produce a certain amount of work but for most of us at the bottom of this particular business heap that's not the case. We're effectively living in a permanent artistic Dragon's Den, pitching our work and, much of the time, hearing a version of "I'm out" in reply. That's if we hear anything at all. Far too many times the only reply I get from commissioning editors and agents is a deafening silence.

Struggling artists don't only have to do the work but they have to promote it too. We lock ourselves away in our garrets, rehearsal rooms or studios and hone our craft until it's the best that we can make it, but that's only the starting point to getting it in front of an audience and receiving even the tiniest financial reward. There also has to be countless letters, manuscripts, emails, meetings. This is the side that nobody talks about, the process of selling your work. And this is the part of my business at which I'm particularly bad. Spectacularly so to the point where my letterbox is used even less frequently than my bank paying-in book.

I've seen advice from "experts" suggesting that an artist should spent 65% of their time creating their work and the other 35% promoting it. That goes against every instinct that I have. At the moment the ratio is probably more like 100% vs zero for me. I write because I have to, because it's in my soul. If I wanted a proper job working in sales then I'd have applied for one. As things are then I still may have to someday soon but that's beside the point.

It's time that I got more comfortable with this promoting my business business and the best way I know to become comfortable with something is just go out and do it.

So…

BUY MY BOOKS!   TELL ALL YOUR FRIENDS!

How was that? Am I a salesman yet?


© Shaun Finnie 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment