Friday 4 April 2014

Taboo You

Are there any subjects that you wouldn't write about, or want your favourite authors to write about?

I ask because I've recently read a story that started out as a 'normal' (whatever that means) soap opera-style family drama but took a dramatic twist halfway through. It was a very dark twist that I felt very uncomfortable reading and certainly won't be discussing on my own website. You never know what keywords Google is searching for. Suffice to say that it involved the very unpleasant demise of a minor. Now I know that horror stories involving children have been around for generations, certainly since the days of Wilkie Collins and his unforgettable, brilliant 'Turn of the Screw', but this particular story has lodged itself in my brain and keeps popping back into my consciousness to disturb me anew. This is, I guess, a kind of compliment to the author. I could never write something as affective as that. Of course I could also never write something like 'Fifty Shades of Grey' or anything in the formulaic style of D*n Br*wn but this was different. The writing was excellent for starters and the characters were engaging to the point where I was actually upset when the bad things happened to them. I'd love to write with that kind of intensity and conviction and yet I could no more create a story containing that kind of medically graphic horror than I could convincingly write about…

Well, I don't know really. I try to tell myself that no subject is off limits to a good author, that they should be able to turn their hand to any writing style - especially if the pay is good enough. I don't like to pretend. I write because I love it, certainly, but also I do it to pay the bills (or at least as many of them as it allows me to). I could even discover a hitherto deeply hidden love of tennis, Lancashire or D*n Br*wn if you put enough noughts on the cheque to make me write about these things.

That's the beauty of being a writer. Our imaginations allow us to visit situations as diverse as euphoria and death without ever having to actually experience them. Assuming that we've done our research well enough - and that means more than a quick scan through Wikipedia - then we could theoretically commit any crime ever invented. We could even, if we're good enough, create a completely fresh original sin. We're confined only by the strength of the voices in our heads and the way we react to them. How closely do we want to sail towards the boundaries of our society's taboos?

But we're also guided by our readers. We can write whatever dark fantasies we desire but if the people who normally read our work are used to us producing happy tales of fluffy bunnies and unicorns then we'll turn them away in droves. Or, in my case, tens. Whether we like it or not, writing is a business like any other. We have to stay within our target audience's tolerances.

And for me, the guy whose book I recently read crossed the line. Although it was an excellent book, I won't be back for the sequel.

And one final thing. Please don't ask what the novel that kick-started this blog was. I'm trying to forget it.

© Shaun Finnie 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment