Friday 11 April 2014

Remember the Flashing Neon

I've invited a guest blogger to contribute to this edition of 'Dammit, I'm A Writer'. He's an old friend and… well, I'll let him speak for himself.


Remember the flashing neon

Hello, I’m James Hallsworth, a thirty-something father of two living in the glorious city of Sheffield.  I’m publishing my first children’s picture book and embarking on an adventure which could completely transform my life.  I’m here to tell you just a little (but important) bit about it…
I’ve learnt a lot of things in my nearly-forty years on this planet - most of which are only useful in pub quizzes – but the one thing I’ve learned recently is not to give up on your dreams.  It sounds twee I know - don’t click that ‘x’ button - let me explain.

The trick of course, is to know what your dreams are in the first place.  Some lucky people seem to be born with an innate and powerful sense of what they want to do and how to do it (these people don’t need to read any further); I, on the other hand, had to wait more than thirty years until I finally figured it out. 

When I decided to make a stab at writing for a living, the ubiquitous advisory warning was “it’s extremely difficult to get published”.  This is certainly true, but the best and truest mentors always add “…but do not give up” - this should be signposted in flashing neon and given to every writer, or indeed anyone who is trying to make a living from doing something that they enjoy.

Like all un-published authors I have accumulated a substantial collection of soul-destroyingly impersonal rejection letters and experienced the long, dark tea time of the soul writing in an isolated bubble without meaningful feedback, while also trying to hold down an unfulfilling day job.  But, just I was losing faith, I got lucky; I found someone willing to help me to achieve my dream, and offer expertise, contacts and a metaphorical arm around the shoulder.  Now, although I’m still not officially published, I know how close I came to giving up on my hopes and I’m infinitely wiser having stared into the abyss.

Ask yourself, why do you do what you do?  Is it to make money or because you enjoy it?  If it’s the latter, then you’re better off than those doing the former.  Please don’t give up and keep reminding yourself of why you’re doing it every time you have a bad day or disappointment. Your dream just might be around the corner, just as mine was…

...remember the flashing neon.

Big thanks to Shaun for inviting me to guest on his site, and for his sage advice.
My latest children’s picture book (illustrated by the wonderful Helen Braid) is called Mrs Vyle and is available to order now for £6.99 via www.britainsnextbestseller.co.uk/index_php/book/index/Mrs Vyle

Mrs Vyle is a deliciously disgusting tale full of slobber, smells and funny noises that adults will enjoy reading as much as children will love listening to.

You can follow me and catch up on latest news about Mrs Vyle at:
Twitter: @james_h1975
Web: jamesh1975writer.wordpress.com

No comments:

Post a Comment