Friday 13 September 2013

Is There Anybody There?

I'll warn you now: this week's blog could turn into a bit of a rant. It's about a subject that we all hate but which has sadly become a fact of twenty-first century British life. I'm talking about business help desks that are manned at foreign call centres.

I know that it's unrealistic and commercially unviable to expect companies to employ hundreds of knowledgeable people on their switchboards, just waiting for customers like you and me to ring them. I suspect that this didn't even happen in the mythical golden days of my youth but surely we should be able to expect better service than the current system of "Press one to be cut off; press two to hear the complete works of Vivaldi; press three to listen to a repeating message telling you how important your call is to us"?
With this in mind I'd like any business leaders reading this to treat it as a blueprint for the kind of service that we, the customer, really want. After all, we're the ones who are ultimately paying for it. And for your wages.

1 - Don't force me to make any more than two multiple choice phone presses. Each time you give me another set of preference to pick from my anger levels rise a little more until I'm in dangerous 'Hulk' territory. Eventually I'm going to 'go postal' on one of your poor employees and you'll be responsible.

2 - Don't just tell me that my call is held in a queue - I already know that. Tell me how many other callers are ahead of me and what the average wait time is. And definitely tell me how much per minute the call is costing me. That way I can work out for myself whether I want to wait or not and maybe save both me and your call centre operative some time.

3 - Better still, make it a Freephone number. After all, if your service was as good as it should be, I wouldn't need to ring you in the first place.

4 - If my wait is likely to be a long one then give me the option of leaving my contact details so that you can ring me back at a time of my choosing. You can be sure that it won't be during my mealtime, which is when you usually seem to want to have a chat with me.

5 - Don't spent the first three minutes of the call telling me about the exceptional benefits of your online service and the wonderful things that I can find on there, especially when that same webpage has said that I should call this number for further details.

6 - Don't have your call centre staff use silly names like Danny or Sarah when it's obvious to us that they're really called Atul and Smita. I'm a grown-up. I know that it's cheaper for you to outsource this kind of work to Indian staff. Giving them fake names is an insult to them and me.

7 - Drop the light jazz elevator muzak! If you must keep me on hold for half an hour or more then at least give me a chance to pick what I listen to. The news, perhaps, or an archive recording of the Goon Show. I can only take so much Dave Brubeck.

8 - Don't tell me that my call is important to you when it quite clearly isn't in the slightest. If it was that important you'd have answered it.

9 - When "Danny" has been of no use whatsoever to me then instruct him to change his script. One of the things that's guaranteed to wind me up is the person at the other end of the phone finishing the call with "Is there anything else that I can help you with today?" when he's not been of any help already.

10 - Let me pick my own security password that doesn't have to fit the format that your I.T. staff decided was secure. I understand that 'G7w%98£R'  is an exceedingly secure password but I've got no chance of remembering it unless I write it down - which you've told me not to do. I have to pick something works for me, not you, and my cat's name doesn't include any numbers.

That's it, my top ten improvements to call centres conversations.

Now is that so hard?


© Shaun Finnie 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment