Wednesday 25 September 2013

Coffee, Tea or... Something Else?

Charity is always needed by other people. People in faraway, war-torn lands. People with horrific, incurable diseases. People who live lives that are inconceivably different to our own. Charity is never needed by us.

Until it is.

Until that terrible, devastating thing happens to us. Until our world falls apart. Until we don't know which way to turn.

That's when charities do what they do best. Offering help in practical ways when we're too broken, physically or emotionally, to help ourselves. They do the things that we never knew needed to be done, because they come up against these terrible, life-altering problems daily. Practical things. Advice and information. A hand to hold for those who have no other. Essential assistance.

On Friday this week I'll be helping out at a MacMillan coffee morning. I don't have much spare cash these days but I do have a little spare time. I'll make up my writing hours later. So I've been baking, and plan to bake some more. Some of my speciality breads and cookies and maybe even my sister's legendary apple cake. My Beloved's been doing the same. She'll be there with me, running a tombola, collecting cash and generally doing whatever is required on the day.

I'd love it if you could pop down to the Allotment Deli in Hoyland on Friday 27 September and sample some of my baking - or perhaps something much nicer baked by someone else. Or maybe there's  a MacMillan Coffee Morning nearer to you that you that needs your support?  See what they do and why they need your help - and money - here.  http://coffee.macmillan.org.uk

Or possibly you have another good cause that's closer to your heart, one that you intend to do something for one day, when you get around to it. Well why can't "one day" be today? And if not today, then when? The problem with "one day" is that it never comes around unless you make it happen.

Nobody wants to have to ask for help. But everyone can help charities for those who do.


© Shaun Finnie 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment