Friday 20 September 2013

Half a Job

I bought a new car this week. It's beautiful sitting on my drive where all the neighbours can admire it. It'll be even better when I get an engine to go in it. They had plenty in stock in the garage but none that fit my particular model. I was a little disappointed when he told me that, but never mind. To commiserate I went to a bar for a cocktail, a nice refreshing Sea Breeze. The barman gave me the grapefruit and cranberry juice with lots of ice. I paid him the full amount and tried to enjoy what I had but it didn't quite seem right. 'No sir,' he said. 'You need lots of vodka for a proper Sea Breeze. I'll send that on to you in a few weeks.'

Do the above scenarios sound ridiculous? Of course they do and you wouldn't put up with either of them if they happened in real life (sorry, I was telling fibs at the start there). So why do we put up with this kind of treatment when it comes to technology?

I appreciate that when I go to buy a car I can have optional extras like alloy wheels, kid leather seats or metallic paint. None of these things actually change the working of the machine, they're just posh add-ons to lift me above the crowd. I pay extra if I want something out of the ordinary, I get that. But if I don't want them I still get a basic vehicle that works perfectly well.

So it only makes sense when I buy a new laptop that I'd have to pay extra for a fluffy cover to keep it warm at night. But a power cable? Surely that's something that you most definitely need, not an optional extra? Nor are other connector cables, or internet connections, or a basic set of programs or, it could be argued, a printer.

I got a new mobile phone this week (really). I opened the box and everything that I'd expected was there, even a plug to charge it with - bonus! So I took the back off my old phone, removed the battery and took out my sim and memory cards. Then I tried to take the back off the new phone to insert them. After thirty minutes of doing the man-thing of trying to work it out myself I relented and looked at the instructions. They left me no wiser so I struggled on. After an our and a broken thumb nail I went to the internet. There I found a lovely video of some chap showing me how 'easy' it was. He had three goes, including one where the phone flew out of his hand and landed with an unpleasant tinkly crack on the table. So it wasn't just me, but at least he taught me the knack.

I eventually got the back off and the memory card inserted but then…  then I found that the sim card in my new phone was of a totally different size to the one in my old. it just would not fit. So back to the internet I went where I found that I had to get a new dual sized sim, then cut that one down to mini-sim size before I could use it.  *sigh*  Was life this hard when all we had to worry about was being fire-bombed by the Luftwaffe?

I carefully trimmed the card to the correct size and amazingly it went into my new phone perfectly. Except my number and all my details were still on my old phone. It turned out that I had to do something called an online sim swap. Of course? Why didn't I think of that, I mean it's obvious really. So I did the sim swap - which involved typing lots of different numbers and validation codes into a screen on my provider's website - and got it wrong. Fair enough, I must have mistyped a number somewhere. I tried again. And failed again. After the third attempt it told me that I'd had too many goes and, for my security, I couldn't try again until the next day.

For my security.

I checked that great font of knowledge, the internet chat forums, and found that I should have prefixed one of the codes with the number 8933442. Of course. It should have been obvious really. Or maybe it should have been in the instructions, I'm not sure which. But I tried the next day and it worked. I now have a lovely new phone that makes calls and texts to people that I know. It won't access the internet but hey, you can't have everything. I might have a go at that next week.

Is it too much to ask that things work straight out of the box?

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go and smash some looms.

© Shaun Finnie 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment