Friday 29 November 2013

Eat, Drink and Be (Very) Merry

I've been to quite a few employees' Christmas meals while working for quite a few different companies in the last thirty years. We've eaten in corporate boardrooms, football grounds, posh hotels, small family restaurants and quiet, specially reserved upstairs rooms in pubs. The quality of food has varied wildly from almost gourmet quality to stuff I’d be ashamed to have cooked myself.

And, sorry to say, I've seen food fights in just about all of them. I've never personally been involved, you understand. It's only through other people that I know that an empty party popper filled with black pepper and plugged with a cold sprout makes an excellent and rather explosive missile. Allegedly.

All of the places that I worked had one thing in common. Whether they were small, family run businesses or multi-national corporate behemoths every one of them had put a little - and in some cases a heck of a lot of - cash behind the bar, paying for the employees' drinks for their Christmas celebration. The money always ran out far too early but that didn't stop us from making the most of it. Without exception every single work's do that I've ever been on has descended into drunken carnage. Every last one. It was seen as a kind of stress relief for the under-pressure workers at the bottom of the corporate food chain, as was the occasional sight of newly-connected couples sloping away from proceedings when they thought that nobody was looking. Naturally they were never as invisible as their beer-fuddled brains thought, much to everyone else's delight the next day at work.

Now I'm not condoning these events of alcoholic hedonism, I'm just stating the honest facts. That's what has happened at the office parties I've attended. They've not always been fun but they've always been memorable and since becoming self-employed I have missed the camaraderie that these kind of events reinforced among the workforce. Being a sole trader I don't have that day to day banter at the drinks machine, that social intercourse that cements workplace relationships. What I do have is lunch with my Beloved every day which is infinitely better, but it would still be nice to have a work's Christmas do.

So this week I arranged one. Not that I officially employ anyone these days, I don't think that my writing income will ever stretch to that, but I do pay people for work occasionally. Mostly the aforementioned Beloved, my primary proof-reader and muse, but occasionally others get reimbursed for their reading and suggestions. I made a few phone calls and one afternoon this week a few of us gathered at a local Toby Carvery. Hey, if I'm paying then I get to pick what and where, and I've never been one for fancy food. Make it simple and plentiful and I'm happy. Suffice to say that it was and I was. The people with me were happy too. We had old fashioned roast dinner, a couple of beers, a lot of fun chat and (best of all in my book) there were no silly party hats.

And there was no food fight and the only people who went home together at the end of it were me and my Beloved.


Result.

© Shaun Finnie 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment