Friday 15 November 2013

Counting Down

When I was little one of the first mental challenges my parents set me was learning how to count. I'm guessing that your early education was similar. "One, two, three, four, come on baby…" Eventually I got to be so proficient at it that I didn't even need to take my shoes and socks off.

These days I'm a master at this counting lark and can easily get to a hundred, five hundred, a thousand. It gets pretty boring after a while but I can count almost as well as that guy off Sesame Street now. In fact I wish I could write as well as I count. Words flow from me when the ideas are there and my fingers are pretty adept at typing, but I still don't do it as quickly as I'd like. I used to say that my target was to write a minimum of a thousand words per day. A thousand words, that's approximately a page of a glossy magazine or maybe four pages of a paperback novel. For someone who's trying to make their living from writing though a thousand words per day isn't quite enough. I need to be able to double, triple that amount or more.

You may have heard of something called NaNoWriMo - National Novel Writing Month. Hundreds of thousands of would-be novelists around the world (so maybe it should be InterNoWriMo?) try to write the first draft of their novel, end to end, through the thirty days of November. That's just a first draft, nothing polished, nothing that I'd want anyone else to read. For many, that will be enough. Others won't make it that far. But some of us will use it as a springboard to give us the impetus to start and even finish our novels. However many drafts it takes to complete after November, it's NaNoWriMo that starts it off. I did it last year and the result was my novel, 'The Happiest Workplace on Earth.'  This year I'm using it to kick-start that book's sequel.

As part of the project you're encouraged to hit a daily wordcount. They suggest 1,667 to give a total of a 50,000 word first draft. I'm there or thereabouts at the moment. But I can't get my head past that 1,667 being a very arbitrary figure. And why is the first draft 50,000? Why not 60,000 which would be 2,000 words per day? That's much closer to a 'proper' book length.

Or how about writing for a given length of time rather than measuring the output? After all those 1,667 words could just be 167 repetitions of 'All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy'. Nobody says it has to make sense. And it's not something that I'm beholden to. Life, taxes, doing my accounts and watching Pointless all take precedence over work. I mean I try to get the words done but sometimes something important steals my hours. That's fine, it will always happen, but the problem comes when the time thief is something that's not really that important, like Candy Crush Saga. That's when working somewhere with no internet connection (like my local coffee shop) can come in so very handy.

Right, I'd better crack on. Time or words, however you measure my output, it's not as much as it could be today. And anyhow, I've just got to take a few minutes out to try and complete level 103…

© Shaun Finnie 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment