Friday 24 May 2013

The Writer's Curse (part one)


Many great writers have struggled with alcoholism yet produced brilliant work while under the influence of the demon drink.

Dylan Thomas, Edgar Allan Poe, Norman Mailer, James Joyce, Oscar Wilde, Ernest Hemingway, Truman Capote, Kingsley Amis, F. Scott Fitzgerald… the list goes on and on and will continue to grow as long as there are ideas to be transferred and relatively cheap alcohol on tap. And it’s not only well known authors. Many a struggling writer has died, unpublished and unfulfilled yet addicted to alcohol.

But why? Why would someone who obviously possessed such a fertile imagination feel the need to dull it with a beer buzz? While I don’t drink currently (thanks for that, Doctor) I've certainly had my fair share of falling down moments in the past. It’s made me many things such as funny, idiotic, ill, maudlin, confrontational and embarrassing but one thing that drinking too much has never made me is more creative. There is no way that I could write anything of any quality after a few beers. My thoughts become too fleeting and random, and I become very repetitive.  Probably most importantly my handwriting is pretty bad at the best of times; when I’m drunk it becomes totally illegible even to me.

I understand the euphoria and loosening of inhibitions that comes with a good slug of a good Scotch. I understand the numbing of physical or emotional pain that it supplies. I even understand that a gallon of Dutch chemically-tasting lager might silence the voices in our heads for a wee while, those non-stop gibbering monkeys who constantly scream new ideas coated with promises about how they’re so much better than the crap that I’m working on at the moment. I understand all that. But what I don’t understand is how it helps the creative process one tiny bit.

Maybe I’m just too uptight and straight-laced, and need to learn to relax a little?

Or maybe I just need a drink?

© Shaun Finnie 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment