Friday 3 August 2012

Picture This

I’m not a photographer. I express myself with words, not images. If you want a poem writing for a loved one, something to let them know the emotions trapped within your heart and soul in ways that you could never express on your own then give me a call, we might be able to do a deal. Or if you want a tale of terror to keep you awake at night, then I have confidence that I could show you something disturbing that would give you the willies.

However If you want someone to take a quick snap of you and the kids in front of a stunning vista, give the camera to someone else. Ask me to do it and you’ll end up with a picture of you looking like you’ve been visiting with Madame Guillotine or a shot so blurry that it could’ve been taken by someone drinking their eighth espresso of the day during the world’s foggiest earthquake.

I’m not a photographer; nor am I a graphic designer. I’m a writer and it would be foolish and arrogant of me to think that I can do as good a design job as someone with real talent and experience in the graphic design field.

It’s coming to the point where I need to produce the cover for my next book, the first in an on-going series. Now I have several design packages on my loaded on to my laptop; I actually paid for one of them so as a true Yorkshireman I feel that I should get some commercial use out of it. But would doing the job myself be false economy? I could do a half-decent job with one of my own half-decent ideas and a half-decent photograph. But I’d end up with a half-decent cover that, frankly, anyone with the same kit as me could do.

Perhaps, in these days of financial uncertainty, I should do my bit for the struggling economy and employ someone to do a much better job than I could. Not only would this improve my book’s chances in the marketplace but it would also free up my time to get on with the next in the series.

There’s a lot to be said for knowing your strengths and working to them. But you should know your limitations too, and know when it’s time to put your hand in your pocket.

Any offers?



© Shaun Finnie 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment