Friday 20 July 2012

Ideas Man

‘Where do you get your ideas from?’

That must be the question that all authors across the years have been asked more than any other. And like many other writers, it’s the question that I have the most trouble answering. I have several stock responses, but none of them seem to fit the bill…

·         ‘I don’t really know, they just appear’. It’s a very weak reply, and incredibly unimaginative for someone who allegedly makes a living from their use of words. And it leaves the asker disappointed in the answer and the writer giving it.


·         ‘The story fairy delivers them to me’; ‘I steal Dan Brown’s rejects’; ‘I buy them from a little shop in Rotherham’. These are my standard flippant answers and sometimes they get a laugh, but they all avoid the question and are disrespectful to the asker. If I give one of these answers then I can usually expect a response of, ‘No, but really, where do you get them from?’


·         ‘I believe that there are stories floating all around us, we just have to be attuned to them and let them flow through us.’ This one’s all a little bit California-new-age-hippy-tree-hugger-crystal-gazing-crap for my liking. It’s also a guaranteed conversation killer.

So honestly, where do ideas come from?

Well I can’t speak for other writers but for me… I make them up. I think them into being inside my head. They might try to hide in the faraway corners of my brain but I force them into the open by asking the most important question any writer can possibly ask: ‘What if…?’

But that’s just the beginning, the start of the story if you will. I’ll then take that fragile little germ of a story and work on it for days, weeks, months, polishing every single word until their collective whole is as good as I can make it. That’s what all authors do. That’s our job.

The best writers are the ones who can nurture these ideas in such a way that the average reader thinks the process is so simple that anyone could do it. And I firmly believe that anyone can have a great story idea, but the dedication, the natural ability and the learned craft to make it worth reading? That’s the difficult bit.

So a better question would be, ‘Which are the best ideas to spend your time following up on?’

And if you have an answer to that one, my friend, you’ll have taken your first steps on the way to a bestseller.



© Shaun Finnie 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment