Friday 27 June 2014

Who Is the Fairest of Them All?

Regular readers will know that I have a thing about cover bands, remakes and reimagineering. Is it better to have an original idea that nobody else cares about or is it perfectly acceptable to take a well established brand / song / work of art and put your own personal mark on it? I'm still not sure how I feel about the entire subject - though I'm leaning towards looking at each case on its individual merits - but I'd like to look at a new variant on that theme.

When I was a kid there was very little that I liked more than spaghetti hoops on toast, playing with my Hot Wheels cars and reading Spider-Man comics. But one thing that always went straight to the top of my excitement list was the release of a new animated Disney film. Or, in our case, a relatively old animated Disney film as at the time English cinemas didn't show them until at least six months after their American release. The vibrant colours, the simple storylines of good conquering evil, the funny characters - what kid could ask for more?

Those films (some of which were decades old rereleases even when I saw them for the first time) still work their magic on today's children but are most likely viewed at home on television systems not much smaller than the silver screens on which the kids' grandparents originally watched them. They're still fun but they are definitely films of a different era, made for a different generation. The movies themselves haven't changed but the people watching them have. I'm not getting into the pros and cons of whether this is a good thing or not but it's undoubted that the average pre-teen today is most definitely more self-aware, sarcastic, confident and worldly wise than their equivalents from a few generations ago. Some of the more innocent portions of those fairy tale movies don't necessarily meet with the same response now as they did in those halcyon days of old.

That's why, unlike some, I'm not in the least troubled by the reimagineered, darker and post-modern take of 'Alice in Wonderland' or the 'Sleeping Beauty' update, 'Maleficent'. The slapstick buffoonery of Glenn Close's 'One Hundred and One Dalmatians' was fun, and was intended to be just that. These works stand on their own, for the viewer to take or leave, and shouldn't leave any black mark against the memory of the wonderful  animated classics. Some have been dismayed by Disney 'changing' their original favourites  by releasing these as if in some way Angelina Jolie's Maleficent demeans Marc Davis's stunning artwork of the original dark fairy. Of course it doesn't, any more than Dolly Parton or Pat Boone's covers of 'Stairway to Heaven' in any way detract from the Led Zeppelin classic.

I wish Disney good luck with their upcoming live action remakes of 'Cinderella', 'Beauty and the Beast' and 'The Jungle Book' (again). There will be a market for them. I might even like them myself. Or I might not.  As with everything in life (as long as it's legal), if you don't like it then you don't have to partake.

And if you're still unconvinced then you can always rewatch the old videos / blu-rays / DVDs / home movies any time you wish. I certainly do, quite regularly. A dream can still be a wish your heart makes - if you want it to be.

© Shaun Finnie 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment