Saturday 15 March 2014

Home Away From Home

Like I've said regularly in recent blogs, I write because I have to. I write for my income, yes, but I'd do it even if I didn't get paid. For many years that's precisely what I did. My work wasn't read much back then either but it didn't matter because I had to write. I write because it's part of me and it has to come out.

This week I've been on holiday up in the Lake District. More accurately, I've been to Center Parcs near Penrith. To some it's a place where you can get access to nature while still retaining central heating and other home comforts. To others it's little more than Butlins for eco-warriors. Whatever, I love it there. It's calming for me, a place to slow down and reflect. And it's also a brilliant place to write.

What's not to love? Log (style) cabins, no cars, clean air. And lots of trees, birds an furry creatures to lower the heart rate and increase the word count. Bliss. I find that this kind of atmosphere is excellent for writing, for freeing my mind from the cares and worries of 'normal' life and allowing my muse to take me where it will. But probably more importantly, it's the best place that I've found for editing my work (and sometimes that of others too). The calmness of it all somehow frees me to improve a manuscript and make every word count.

It's the process of cleaning, correcting and tightening the work until it's the very best that I can make it, like polishing a newly-completed piece of furniture, that I find much easier in this kind of atmosphere. I can write almost anywhere if I have to and don't mind telling people to give me a minute on my own to scribble an elusive thought into my notebook but editing and rewriting are entirely different beasts, needing much more concentration. I think that's why the proverbial cabin in the woods is such a good location for it.


So that's what I'm doing - tidying the first draft of my next novel in preparation for more serious rewrites later. As holidays go, I've had worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment