Friday 28 February 2014

Eight Days a Week

What does your normal working week consist of? Is it the clichéd Monday to Friday, forty hours or so? Or perhaps it's more flexible that than? Maybe you might even do shift work? Chances are though, whatever your working pattern, your employer gives you two days a week off, probably Saturday and Sunday.

As a self-employed writer I have the freedom to work whatever hours I want. That's fantastic, but it has a downside; the fewer hours that I put in then the lower wordcount I produce. I try to work five days and take two days off but unless I have something special planned those two rest days are unlikely to be at the traditional weekend. I prefer to take my two days free time when most people are at work, meaning that anywhere I go will be quieter and possibly cheaper.

But a full day off? Twenty-four hours without any writing whatsoever? That very rarely happens. I know that many people will see my work as an easy option - sitting around thinking and occasionally tippy-tapping at a keyboard - but the truth is that I'm practically always working. In this line of work there's no time off at all. Even when I'm away from the office my mind's still working out plot points, considering how my characters would react in certain situations, soaking up my surroundings or making notes about people and places I see for further reference.

On a night out with friends or a day shopping with the Beloved I'll always have a notebook and pen with me. I've been known to dictate messages into my phone for later transcription and even sent text messages to myself if a have a sudden thought that just needs a quick note. I have notebooks in just about every room in the house including a waterproof one in the bathroom for if I have a flash of inspiration while soaking my aches and pains away. And naturally there's a pad in my bedside cabinet so that I can document those most unfathomable of thoughts - dreams - before they disappear back into whatever ether they came from.

My point is that, though I may not actually clock as many official working hours as most employees, I can honestly say that I'm always on call, ready for that moment when something triggers a thought that has to be recorded before it evaporates like early morning mist over a summer lake. I'm never unavailable, the muse can strike at any moment and if I miss it then, with the state of my memory, it's gone forever. You could say that I'm at work 24/7, 365 days a year.

It's a tough life, but it's so much more enjoyable than my old job in the steelworks.

© Shaun Finnie 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment