Friday 24 January 2014

Sleepy, Not in a Hollow

Some things in life you just have to put up with. Bad drivers; rising inflation; Keith Lemon. Others, you choose to accept for a while. A leaky roof; the damp patch on the bathroom ceiling; the wonky cupboard door where the hinge needs replacing. These things can be fixed and probably will be if you ever get around to it. These are minor irritations in the big scheme of things (compared to Keith Lemon) but some things around the house can't wait to be repaired or replaced. A broken toilet; a blown kettle; a damaged pizza cutter. When they need fixing they need fixing now, and this week I got round to fixing one of those important things.

Our bed had finally become too soft and saggy to sleep on. It more resembled a hammock than a mattress, so big was the dip in the middle.  I'm all for snuggling up close to the Beloved of a night time but it's nice to make the choice ourselves and not have the mattress decide for us. Nobody likes enforced intimacy, least of all the Beloved. It's been sinking lower and lower in the centre for a while and wasn't going to heal on its own so we chose not to buy each other a Christmas present this year. We saved our cash and put it to a joint gift from the New Year Sales.

We managed to find a new mattress for less than thirty percent of the original label price, a huge bargain which saved us hundreds of pounds. And it's brilliant, really thick, luxuriant and just the right level of firmness. It reminds me of a posh hotel room bed. Sadly though my Beloved doesn't leave mints on the pillow every evening.

We'd had the previous mattress for over a decade so there's no wonder that it was no longer at its best. It was about half its original thickness but not consistently so, so it was lumpy and bumpy in all the wrong places. Its coils were uncoiled, its hexagonal honeycombs had crumbled and its cover was torn and punctured so that its pointy bits and pieces poked unpleasantly into mine. The new one is so solid that even with me rolling around on it all night it holds its shape, and its solidarity has taught me how bad the previous mattress had become.

I only ever use one pillow. I have done for many years. I thought I'd just grown to like having only theone, that it was my choice, but now the reason has become clear. The bed had simply become so saggy that one pillow raised my head sufficiently. But now that I've re-learned how solid a mattress should be I've realised that one pillow isn't enough. It leaves my head sloping back and downwards at a painfully more-than-jaunty angle. So much so that I'm choking, head back, swallowing my own tongue. Not only that but I'm also, apparently, snoring though I'm not convinced about that. I certainly haven't been noisy enough to wake myself. I'm sleeping the best that I have in a long, long time.

The only problem now is that we have the old mattress to dispose of. Of course we'll take it to the tip (when we get around to it) but currently it's still in our bedroom. It's propped up against the wall at the end of our bed, looming over us while we sleep like some kind of posture-sprung guardian angel. If it ever decides to flop down on us during the night, attacking us like a deleted scene from 'Paranormal activity', we may need to reuse it. It'll be cleaner than the new one will be.

© Shaun Finnie 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment