Friday 18 October 2013

badgerbadgerbadgerbadger

I want to see a badger with his
Pointy, stripy nose
And his massive, bulky silver back
And sharply curving toes

I want to see him shining bright
Beneath a moon-lit sky
I've waited here for half the night
I think he might be shy

The garden's full of fruit and nuts
And smothered in bird seed
I've laid out everything I've got
I want to see him feed

I want to see a badger
And so many other creatures
And I want to feel their fur and scales
And probe their unique features

And I want to hear a nightingale
Or cuckoo's simple call
Before their voices quieten 'til
They can't be heard at all

I want to see a tiger
Or an Arctic polar bear
But I'll have to travel quickly
Or there won't be any there

I want to see a dodo
Or a laughing owl in flight
Or a mighty stegosaurus
What a huge, impressive sight

But the pink passenger pigeon
Won't be passing by here soon
And the fierce Tasmanian tiger
Won't be hunting by the moon

"Extinction is Forever"
So the warning posters say
But they never tell precisely when
They never name the day

That a species will be gone for good
The death of all its kind
And if we'll even know it's gone
Or if we'll even mind

So I want to see a badger
While I'm still around to care
Yes, I'd love to see a badger
Oh look! There's one, over there


© Shaun Finnie 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment