Friday 9 August 2013

Perception Deception

We went to a local farm this week. It's one of those show farms like you see in inner cities for kids who think that sheep lay sausages. Ours wasn't in some wretched post-industrial landscape though but in the real, honest-to-goodness countryside near home in wildest Yorkshire.

And it was rubbish.

They had one cow in a barn. Just the one. What kind of farm keeps just one cow? Perhaps they had loads but she was the only one deemed friendly enough to be let out with children? Maybe the others were all man-eaters locked away in a shed somewhere behind a sign saying "Take Care! These Cows Do Not Play Nice With Others!" (notice how I stayed away from the "udders" pun there? Even I have some standards).

There were a few pigs laid asleep in a dark corner, well away from grabbing hands, and a couple of bored-looking donkeys too. A pair of grumpy alpacas ground their cud aggressively, looking as though they were going to spit bile at anyone who even looked at them in a funny manner, and a pair of red deer were anything but timid, sprinting up to the fence as we approached in a "give me some grain or I'll gore you" manner.

There were the usual petting zoo favourite - rabbits, guinea pigs, pigmy goats etc. - and that was it. Apart from the meerkats. They were one of the main reasons we'd gone, to tell the truth. The Beloved has had a passion for these creatures for many years which occasionally reduces her to girlish squeaks of delight. She's a little miffed that other people have jumped on 'her' meerkat bandwagon in recent years too. Fortunately the run-down farm was deserted so on this occasion at least she could chuckle and "awww" at the little critters' antics all on her own with no johnny-come-latelies to spoil her enjoyment. Mind you, it wasn't the world's largest troupe, just four little meer-kitties huddled together under a heat lamp. Their enclosure was fine enough, as with all of the other animals' just a bit cheap- and cobbled together-looking. The entire place looked a bit sad and depressing really and, like a cheap strip club, I felt a little demeaned just by being there.

But…

Did I mention that we had our niece and nephew with us? A very girly twelve year-old and a hyper boisterous boy three years her junior? They saw exactly the same things that we did, they heard the same sounds and they smelled the same smells. And they had an absolutely magnificent time. They couldn't get enough of the small furry creatures, especially the baby rabbits. They spent literally hours stroking and petting the cute and fluffy kits and their parents. There were many cries of "Can I take one home, Uncle Shaun?" and wobbly lips when I firmly rejected the idea. Time seemed to slow as they couldn't be dragged away from the apparently fascinating sight of goats eating cabbage leaves and their delight at the meerkats almost reached the same level as the Beloved's own. Almost.

It was fascinating to note how their enjoyment of the place differed so much from my own. I basically hated it. They basically loved it. Two wildly differing views on the same subject.

I've been asked to review some books recently and have been acutely aware of the fact that, while I've been doing this, some other readers have been reviewing my own novel. I've been doing my best to be objective in what I've written but all the time I've been wondering how the author whose work I'm commenting on will feel if they should read what I write about their book. How would I feel if the roles were reversed? How will I feel when I read what others say about my work?

Perhaps it's safest to just write "everyone's view on this book will differ" and suggest that they read it for themselves, for as long as children will love to stroke furry animals people will have differing views on art.


© Shaun Finnie 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment