Friday 19 April 2013

Habitual Addiction


They say that you need to do something for twenty-one consecutive days to form a new habit. Repeat the pattern daily for three weeks, whether you want to or not, and it will be mentally hard-wired into your daily routine. You’ll do it automatically. It’s become a habit.

Taking that same logic, I suppose that the same length of time would apply to breaking a habit. If you do something all the time and then, for twenty-one days, you make an active decision not to do it you’re creating a new habit, one of not doing the action that you previously did regularly. Note, that’s breaking a habit, not an addiction. So you might be able to stop doing something like biting your toenails in three weeks but kicking a chemical addiction to, say, nicotine could take a lifetime.

I really want to get back into the exercise habit. A healthy body helps a healthy mind, right? While I was never the fittest or most athletic person in the land I did at least make an effort. I used to run. I used to pedal miles without getting anywhere on the static bike in my dining room. I used to walk up hills that quite literally reached into the clouds. I even used to do yoga for heaven’s sake! And no, before you ask: that’s an image that will never make it onto YouTube while there’s breath left in my body. So what happened? Why do I no longer do these things? Why have I reverted to my previous alter-ego of Tub-O-Lard Man? I simply stopped doing the things that burned calories. I lost the desire and, three weeks later, I’d simply slipped out of the habit (as the nun said on bath night).

But habits that cause chemical changes in the brain (as exercise does) have a habit of evolving into fully-fledged addictions if you’re not careful. And it can be many things, some that you might not expect. For example, I know quite a few people who will argue strenuously that they’re not addicted to exercise. No sir. Definitely not. No way, José. Yet take this idea for a moment…

Imagine someone who drinks alcohol, quite a bit of it every day. Much more than you and I would consider to be healthy. They just can’t get enough of it, usually two heavy sessions a day. They may not want to admit it but they’re hooked on the chemicals that the demon drink gives them and if for whatever reason they can’t get their boozy fix for a day or so they become anxious, stressed or worse. You’d say that they have a problem whether they want to acknowledge it or not, right?

Now re-read that previous paragraph but change all references to drinking alcohol so that they instead point to doing some form of exercise. It’s a healthier option, sure, but is it still completely healthy? Physically, they might be in peak condition but emotionally or socially? I’m not so sure.

I’d rather take the holistic approach. Everything in moderation, they say, and that applies to anything that you may think that you’re addicted to. But where exercise is concerned, moderation is a heck of a lot better than none at all. So this week I’m making an effort. I’m going to get off my considerable behind and try to get a little fitter. I don’t ever want to get to that stage where physical exertion defines me but I do want to do something every day, even if it’s just a walk to the paper shop.

Today is the first day of the next three weeks.

© Shaun Finnie 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment