Friday 25 May 2012

Imminent Linguicide

Alot is not a real word. It’s two words, as in ‘I rant at my screen a lot’. That’s not hard to learn, surely?

Apparently so, because I see it all the time throughout the internet.

There’s no such word as ‘forums’ either. It’s fora. It’s a simple enough lesson, but if you look at most online message boards you’d think that learning a new word was as impossible as implementing a decent European fiscal policy or teaching D*n Br*wn how and when to use exposition.

I’m utterly dismayed when I read things like the following, which is a large forum creator’s explanation that he knows that ‘fora’ is the correct plural, however…

‘…whilst we are against most forms of language dumbing-down, we are also against unnecessary complication. Everyone knows and understands the word forums. Most people don't know what fora means. There is almost no chance of changing that situation significantly, no matter how hard the purists might want to. Like the failed Esperanto language, we believe reality wins over idealism. It's sad but inescapably true. We don't believe it makes sense to promote fora as the "correct" pluralisation because it creates confusion, offers no real benefit, and can't work anyway so it's pointless trying.’

That’s that then; it’s pointless trying. I know that you can’t see me, but I’m shaking my head in disbelief and exasperation. He may as well have said, ‘I’m going to die so it’s pointless living’.

We have the language of Keats, of Milton, of Shakespeare and it’s pointless trying to retain its magnificent complexity. We may as well reduce it to ‘Shl I kmpr u2a smrs day’.

It’s as ridiculous as saying (as I heard this week) that a new blockbuster movie is ‘awesome’. If the great Cthulu and all his fictional deity mates ripped the sky apart and came screaming through the lacerations in the fabric of the of the space-time continuum along with the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse, and if they were all lead by the late, great, Charlton Heston in full Moses regalia…  now THAT would be awesome indeed. But a movie? No. That’s not awesome, it’s merely entertaining.

Do these things matter? Well yes, I think that they do, in the same way that correct apostrophe use is important – just how did a film called ‘Two Weeks Notice’ ever get released? On grammatical AND artistic grounds? Was nobody at all in the Warner Brothers organisation taught about apostrophe usage with possession and omission? Or maybe they know but decided against the apostrophe on artistic grounds?

These are rules, and if we play fast and loose with these, then what other rules can we decide to ignore? Tax evasion? Speeding? Murder? Where do you draw the line?

I think that you can tell by the tone of this piece that I’m feeling particularly old this week. I’ve noticed that there are more grey hairs on my chest than black ones and that when I stand up my knees crack like a shot from Chuck Connors’ rifle; you might need to look that one up if you’re not old yourself.

If I’m honest I know that change is good. Change is healthy. The world is made for the young. Otherwise we’d still be living in Elizabethan squalor, doffing our caps to the local Squire and eating frumenty.

There is no point whatsoever in ranting against linguistic changes, trying to turn a tide whose advance is – as the owner of that forum said – inevitable. It only leads to frustration, stomach ulcers and a reputation for being the local nutter.

Language evolves, innit? But there’s still no such word as ‘alot’.


© Shaun Finnie 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment